This pro-Swift article came across my RSS feed recently and while I don’t want to do a direct comparison of Swift versus Kotlin since I haven’t done Swift coding I did think it was interesting to point out similar points of efficiency in their simple example built as a product of the Kotlin language compared to others like Java, the language they picked on too.
As I wrote about here yesterday I am taking my exploration of Kotlin to the next level by looking at performance metrics using the Computer Language Benchmark Game. As of right now I’ve completed my first two steps: got the benchmark building/running Kotlin code, and doing a straight port of the suite (follow along at the Gitlab project). This was really 90% IntelliJ auto-converting followed by me fixing compiling errors (and submitting a nasty conversion bug that came up from one test back to JetBrains). So now onto the results! Well, actually not so fast on that one…
There are certain things in life that you take for granted but didn’t know you did until you didn’t have them anymore. Swagger is definitely one of them.
Back in November I started trying to mess around with .NET again, with the twist of I refused to become Windows bound to do it. After some time experimenting holidays got in the way, then work got in the way, and as usual life gets in the way of hobbies. Today I needed to work out some standard C# code samples for interacting with REST services I had written in Java. I could have spent two hours installing Visual Studio in the virgin Windows 10 VM on my laptop, or I could fire up a new Linux VM and give cross platform .NET another try.