Back in November I started trying to mess around with .NET again, with the twist of I refused to become Windows bound to do it. After some time experimenting holidays got in the way, then work got in the way, and as usual life gets in the way of hobbies. Today I needed to work out some standard C# code samples for interacting with REST services I had written in Java. I could have spent two hours installing Visual Studio in the virgin Windows 10 VM on my laptop, or I could fire up a new Linux VM and give cross platform .NET another try.
I am very early in the Linux .NET development experiment. I am pretty busy with work and life so that I don’t have a ton of time to play around with these things. Having come from a background where most of my recent development (last several years) has been technologies other than .NET I have a double hurdle to clear: getting used to .NET and getting used to doing .NET on Linux. Therein lies the rub.
I may have cut my teeth on non-Microsoft systems but the better part of my career was spent building most of my software with and for Visual Studio. It was only in the last few years that the landscape changed and my work has been dominated by Linux, Java, and generally non-Microsoft systems. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the explosion of open source software and the ability to contribute to and use it. I’ve also enjoyed being able to extricate myself from Windows. But with Microsoft’s recent foray into open source and with the increasing stagnation and calamities in the Java community I’ve decided to give the .NET stack a while again, but with a twist.