Yep, two Diaspora API dev reports on one day. After taking a break for dinner and just watching some TV I got back to figuring out how to properly interface with the authentication and API from an external client. I was re-reading the OpenID spec, watching some videos, reading some presentations, et cetera. If I’m going to be working on the API this is something I definitely need to be deep diving into a lot more. My initial order of business however was just getting it working.
I’m only a few hours into getting fully going on the Diaspora API development project. I had been pre-flying that whole experience earlier last week by studying the existing code base, familiarizing myself with the discussion threads et cetera. Over the last couple of days I’ve been trying to focus more on moving the ball forward as well. Before really doing that though there is still a little ground work to do.
I can’t express how happy I am that I have the privilege of having a combination of time, ability, desire, and energy to contribute substantially to the Diaspora project right now. Ever since I started using it in the spring it’s something I’ve wanted to be able to help with. I certainly got my feet wet back then on some tweaks to the Twitter and Facebook interaction code, the latter of which is permamently broken thanks to Facebook’s new API spec. With the amount of getting up to speed on Ruby, Rails, and the Diaspora code base I’m looking forward to helping tackle a much larger and persistently requested piece of code: a Diaspora API. Continue reading Let the Diaspora API Deep Dive Begin!
I’ve mostly been “microblogging” updates on Diaspora recently. That’s a fancy way of saying I haven’t been doing any in-depth writing but instead just making quick ad hoc posts on social media. As I am now ramping up my development on open source projects, primarily Diaspora by the looks of it, I’m hoping to start posting here more frequently capturing new lessons learned, observations from my exploration of these newer languages and code bases, and just getting more writing in.
Over the summer I actually spent a good deal of time exploring different cross platform development frameworks of the .NET and C++ variety. That was intended to be to work on a very niche open source project idea that I had conjured up around my classic computing hobby. By the time I made enough progress on that to the point where I could potentially be productive, although I still want to explore wxWidgets a bit more, the bug to help on alternative social media platforms bit again.
Sorry for the absence. I hope to be a regular poster again for the half dozen of you that actually read this!